Translate

Thursday, January 5, 2017

Keith Green and Legalism

Keith Green is held in high regard by many Christian music listeners; and I, too, have been blessed by his songs, which have inspired so many people to love the Lord.

But the man struggled with over-zealousness, and what church people refer to as "legalism" (an excessive emphasis on following religious rules and regulations that often times aren't even from God but human beings).

In "The Keith Green Story - Your Love Broke Through", a documentary narrated by Toby "Mac" Mackeehan; Keith's widow, Melody, talks about the time Keith first became a Christian. "He even, you know, went back to Randy (Stonehill), who had initially invited us to the Bible study, and started telling Randy how 'Well you need to live your life like this. And the Bible says this."

In the same documentary, Randy Stonehill, similarly describes Keith's newfound zeal for the Lord, saying "It was a wonderful thing, and then some-often times, it could give you an Excedrin headache... He'd wanna say, 'Look man, you know; why don't you, you know, live what you believe?' And I'm going, 'I'm trying! I'm trying! It's not easy being human, you know. I'm glad it's better for you!"

Over the next several years, Keith went through many ups and downs in his journey with the Lord. In her book, "No Compromise - the Life Story of Keith Green; Melody Green relates a conversation that Keith had the year before he died in a plane crash. Christian singer, Annie Herring, said "I'm so grateful that God loves me. That's the first thing I knew about God, and it's gotten me through every bit of misery and every bit of joy."

To that, Keith replied, "Sometimes I'm not sure if God loves me. I know He's right. I know He's God. But as far as really feeling His love for me -  well, I don't know it like you do." 

In the year that followed, Melody describes how Keith began to lighten up and really embrace the kindness and love of the God, before he went to be with Him in heaven. It's a good lesson for many others to learn too.

1 comment: